Wednesday, September 26, 2012

little lessons

Alright, so I have experienced almost an entire month of college thus far, so I'm basically an expert on the topic - well, not quite yet. But anyway, here's an update on the short amount of a college career that I have experienced.

1. I have already moved dorms.

I started out in what I was aware was the "party dorm." I am completely okay with partying, don't get me wrong, but there is a fine line between having a good time and ending up in the health center. I was carrying girls to their dorms nightly and saving them from semi-dressed, belligerently drunk, college boys roaming the halls.
I had to leave my room during "quiet hours" on a weeknight to tell my self-absorbed neighbors to keep it down. I had been sick for a few days and they had all been aware.
They made comments as they walked past my open door, knowing that I could hear every word of their conversation.

2. Do what makes you happy.

You have four years of this. Don't both wasting a moment in a bad situation. It's a waste of time and energy to be in a bad situation when making a little effort can take some time, but dramatically change your level of happiness.
In my new dorm, I am so happy. The girls are welcoming, inclusive, and caring.

3. Be Yourself.

Yes, cliche, I know. But truer words have never been spoken. With my new friends, I am the most "me" that I have ever been. They are accepting and open to my moments of crazy and quiet. They are the kinds of girls that possess genuine concern for their friends, doing everything they can to help them and make them happy.
Going into a new situation, many people can "adjust" their personalities in accordance with what they think their peers would like to hear.

4. Every night does not have to be a party.

Over the past month, the moments that I have shared with my new friends that have brought us closer have always been what would seem to be the least exciting. Our trips to the local Walmart, Kroger, Health Food Store, and FroYo Shop have always been our most fun outings.
Sitting in someone's dorm room, eating ice cream, and watching Gilmore Girls can be the highlight of your week. Don't ever feel the pressure to go out. Yes, be social, but don't feel an obligation to go out every single night and kill brain cells. Have respect for yourself, your grades, and others, they do not want to hold your hair throwing up on the moldy bathroom floor.
Find those people that mirror your values, beliefs, morals, and who you have the best time with.


5. Take those quiet moments.

Everyone needs a moment alone. Away from the crowd, under your covers, watching a Lifetime movie. Take those moments to meditate. Appreciate them, savor them, and take them. 
Also, don't be afraid to get away. A few of my friends and I snuck off to the nearest big city for a trip to Whole Foods. 

6. Immerse yourself.

The worst thing you can do for yourself in this new culture is restrict yourself, i.e. not socializing. Sitting in your dorm all day is not the way to have the "college experience." There is a balance between being a hermit and being sent to the hospital for exhaustion, find that for yourself. 
Also, the town where your college is is more than likely not going to be your hometown. Go out and make yourself a part of this new place. Stop in the stores, converse with the shop owners, walk for some coffee, you are now a member of this new place - take advantage of that!

These are the lessons that I have learned as of my first month. I will keep you posted on the experience through thoughts, pictures, and stories. 


2 comments:

  1. What a great post by such a young lady!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only a month in and you've learned more than many people learn in four years--and that's only outside of the classroom! Your parents must be proud of you indeed.

    ReplyDelete