Saturday, September 22, 2012

How do these things happen to me?

I don't know how I swing it, but I somehow always manage to find myself in the most uncomfortable situations. We're talking, Larry-David-Curb-Your-Enthusiasm kind of awkward. Now that I am living in a tiny college town, my awkward moments have seemed to skyrocket from bi-weekly to hourly.
Basically the most happening place here is the local Kroger grocery store. I am, as you all already know, quite a foodie - I graze constantly. My fridge is fully stocked due to my food addiction and necessary daily grocery shopping excursions.
So, a few days ago, I ran in to get some snacks and restock my mini-fridge. After making my way down every aisle - can't resist - I finally realized it was time to leave before I bought out the entire store. I noticed that all the lines were full besides one bored-looking checker. After a quick hello, I set my things down not prepared for what would come next.

As any courteous consumer, I inquired about her day and how she was doing. I noticed a flash of sadness in her eyes and knew I was screwed, I couldn't escape now. And this is why her line was the only empty one:

Me: How are you doing today?
Glenda: (long pause) Not well.
Me: Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Are you okay?
Glenda: (eyes filling with desperation) No, baby, I'm not. I think my boyfriend broke up with me

               Just out of curiosity, how would you not be
               aware if you are still dating?

Me: Oh that's horrible. I am so sorry.
Glenda: (tearing up) It's alright, he had a horrible drinking habit.
Me: Well, Glenda, you are so much better than that. This is probably the best thing then.
Glenda: You're probably right, (full blown tears) but we been together two years n I love him.
Me: But Glenda, you need to respect yourself enough to say no. He isn't good for you.
Glenda: I know, baby. You are so right.
Me: I know you can do so much better.
Glenda: You're right baby, I can. (Sobbing)

This all occurred while checking out my groceries. How do I manage to place myself in these situations? Just lucky, I guess.

I then told her I would be back to visit her, I will keep you all updated on the Glenda-front. 

4 comments:

  1. Hmm. Might be because you're a kind person and others can spot that right off? That would be my guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Miss Maggie, you are too sweet! I'm quite positive that's not why, but thank you :)

      Delete
  2. Great blog... Love your sense of humor!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The universe has been sending ALL sorts of crazy situations my way recently. UGH
    xoox
    SC

    ReplyDelete